Been seeing people talking about hygge-inspired office spaces lately? It’s time to get on board with this latest office trend.
Hygge, a Danish concept, has gotten major mainstream attention lately as it perfects the art of coziness in office spaces. With this design, a hygge office brings the comfort of home to the office, creating an environment that inspires, while offering an informal vibe that allows people to feel comfortable enough in the space to thrive.
Whether you’re just looking to learn more about what exactly hygge office decor entails, or are ready to fully commit to creating a hygge office, 620 N Lasalle is sharing everything you need to know about creating this cozy office environment. It’s time to hygge-if your life.
What Is Hygge?
So, what even is hygge, anyways?
Hygge, pronounced as “huu-gah” is a Danish word that essentially points to a quality of comfortability and coziness that helps promote a feeling of well-being and contentment in a space.
But why are we interested in this? Well, it turns out, Denmark is often one of the top-ranked countries in terms of happiness, and many believe it’s due to their implementation of hygge in everyday life. And while this term can mean a little something different to everyone - whether it’s putting on your favorite playlist, wearing cozy slippers, enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, or engaging in an uplifting conversation, hygge is more of a feeling than a specific thing.
Ultimately, when we think of hygge in the office, it’s about creating a sense of familiarity, like the emotions you feel when you’re in your own home and bringing that to the office environment. This way, employees feel comfortable and at ease, even during the hustle and bustle of the workweek. By moving into a new office space, whether it’s a big office and open or small office and cozy, embodying the principles of hygge can take the new office from a sterile, business-only space, to one of comfort and creativity.
Why Does Hygge Matter and How Does it Impact the Workplace?
There are a lot of reasons organizations are incorporating hygge in the office. With this design, it’s about more than just aesthetic decor. In fact, hygge goes as far as to improve feelings of well-being and boost collaboration. With an office environment that’s more inviting and comfortable than traditional offices of the past, the culture in your space can do a total of 180.
By adopting a hygge office space, you can see a lot of benefits, including:
- Creating a comfortable and inspiring space, unlike classic workspaces.
- Encourage communication and collaboration to enhance productivity and connectedness. This helps create a feeling of trust amongst employees, facilitated by an environment that matches.
- Helps create a more intimate meeting space for informal work gatherings, which can ultimately promote more honest and meaningful conversations for more creative results.
- Supports emotional and cognitive wellbeing with a comfortable environment that is free of distractions.
- Shifts corporate culture from one all about hustle, to one that prioritizes the well-being of employees.
While it may feel to some like a small decor change, creating a hygge office space helps get American office culture one step closer to that of the Danish, who have seemed to master the art of happiness and well-being.
12 Ways to Create The Best Hygge Office Space
There’s no limit to the impact a hygge office space can have, and it doesn’t have to be a design that’s restricted to your at-home office. Whether it’s a single office where you’re looking to create your own unique hygge desk or are hoping to instill the principles of this design in a company-wide environment, this decor goal is within reach.
To help you envision your hygge office decor, we are sharing a few ideas for both company-wide and personalized hygge offices. Let’s get started.
Ideas for Company-Wide Hygge
We know that hygge in the office has a number of perks, but how can we bring this design to a large office? Here’s how it’s done.
- Soft Lighting: Office lighting can do a lot to set the mood and create a high-energy or relaxed space, and with softer lighting, you can promote the latter. To avoid an anxiety-prone office, upgrade poor lighting to overhead lights that can be dimmed for a less harsh shine. If that’s not an option, opt for turning off a few of the lights to create the same energy. Want to go above and beyond? Swap old bulbs for options with more natural-esque glows, like full-spectrum lights.
- Add Greenery: Plants can do a lot to reduce stress, and adding them around the workplace can make a quick, easy upgrade to the space while embracing hygge office decor. With more plants, you not only reduce stress but lower noise and air toxins in the space. This easy and cheap solution will breathe a calming life into even the busiest offices.
- Bookcases: Books can make any space feel homier, and with bookshelves stocked with books, you can not only fill your blank walls but add a little character, too. This can be used to store office supplies, as well as show off some industry-relevant reads that can inspire employees.
- Good Coffee: Coffee is essential sustenance in the workplace, and having good coffee on hand is a must. With a great cup of coffee, you can boost the team’s happiness while allowing them to get the energy they need, without a run to their local coffee shop.
- Elevate the Layout: With a hygge office, you can improve the office layout to create more movement through the space. Instead of opting for closed-off cubicles, arrange the office with private areas and individual work areas, as well as more open collaborative spaces that promote interaction.
- Incentives: On top of general decor changes, instill the feeling of hygge in the workplace by creating and promoting things that make employees excited to come in. From free meals to an office gym, or a casual dress code and happy hours, there are plenty of ideas that will help boost employee enthusiasm and create a more comfortable work environment.
Ideas for Personalized Hygge
Not ready to take hygge-inspired office decor company-wide? No worries. Hygge office decor can be implemented individually, allowing each employee to increase the hygge in their personal office space. Here are some ideas.
- Bring Cozy Slippers: Creating a hygge office space is about so much more than decor - it’s a feeling. For this reason, one of the easiest ways to instill hygge in work is by making yourself comfortable, and this can start with a cozy pair of slippers. Keep a pair at work so you can slip out of your regular shoes and get comfortable while the creative juices flow.
- Make a Playlist: To further boost your mood and calm your mind, have a special playlist you listen to in the workplace to add hygge. There are plenty of calming, comforting playlists available on different streaming services, or you can create your own for a custom playlist.
- Invest in Lighting: Your office may not necessarily come equipped with the most hygge-aligned lighting, but you can do it yourself! Grab a full-spectrum light bulb that casts a more natural light for your desk, or even bring a candle if it’s permitted.
- Be Kind: Random acts of kindness can do a great deal to boost hygge in the office. Hygge is about more than the environment, but the people, too. So, do a nice thing for a coworker, like completing one of their least favorite tasks, bringing them in a coffee, or helping them tidy before heading out at the end of the day. This will not only lift moods but leave a lasting impact.
- Take Advantage of Breaks: With hustle culture, it may feel like you are chained to your desk and can’t take a break, but simply taking lunch is so important. Get out of the office, walk outside, eat at a restaurant, or even just in the break room, to quickly step away from your work and decompress. This will allow you to truly enjoy your breaks and free your mind.
- Photos or Flowers: To boost hygge desk decor, enhance your space with photos of loved ones, flowers, or artwork to make the space your own. By bringing a few of your favorite things and beautiful elements, even to the work environment, you can create a space that is more aligned with you for a truly comfortable desk that’s your own.
It’s time to say goodbye to rigid, sterile office spaces and embrace hygge-inspired office decor. By creating a more comfortable office space, both in the design and in the mood and ambiance, you can do a lot to boost morale and take the office from a place employees have to go, to one they want to go into. And after the pandemic where many got comfortable working in their own spaces from home, this is more important than ever as we transition back to the old model of working.
For an office to morph into your dream hygge office space, start fresh at 620 N Lasalle. Schedule a tour online today to begin your journey to creating a hygge office, or contact us to learn more about our offerings.
Table of Contents